By Karlie Marrazzo
In less than one week I will be touching down for my first Icelandic adventure. We will be spending 11 days and 10 nights there, starting and ending in Reykjavik. After settling in for a couple of days, we will be picking up a rental car and heading out on the Ring Road, circumnavigating the entire island counterclockwise.
We spent lots of time reading guidebooks and articles online and asked many questions on travel forums. We were also lucky enough to (virtually) meet Inga from Tiny Iceland, who helped us fine tune our ideas.
I think it will be interesting to share our itinerary now, and then revisit it after the trip to share what worked and what may not have worked; where we would have liked to spend more time and what we would recommend.
Day 3: Golden Circle
– We’ll be seeing Þingvellir National Park (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), geysers, waterfalls, and snorkeling between continents!
Day 4: Driving to Vik
– This will include a visit to the infamous Eyjafjallajökull volcano, more waterfalls, and black sand beaches.
Day 5: Driving to Höfn
– I am super excited to go on a Zodiac boat tour of the Jökulsárlón glacial lagoon!
Day 6: Driving to Mývatn
– Exploring the volcanic lake and relaxing at the Mývatn Nature Baths
Day 9: Driving to Stykkishólmur
– Venturing to the edge of the Snaefellsness peninsula
Day 10: Driving to Reykjavik
– June 17! Iceland National Day!
Day 11: Home
– We’ll check out the luxurious Blue Lagoon before flying back home.
To find out how it all went, click here for part two!
*Disclosure: This post contains an affiliate link. I will receive a small commission for any bookings made through this link with no additional cost to you. Rest assured that I only promote or endorse websites that I personally use and trust. Happy travels!